Evan Coobs is a shareholder in Meyer Capel's business and transactional practice group. A practicing attorney since 1989, he has been with Meyer Capel since 1996, and a shareholder of the firm since 1998. He regularly works with other lawyers as cost-effective and trusted co-counsel and local counsel. HIs business law and accounting background, combined with a wealth of real world experience, make him an asset to businesses, entrepreneurs and individuals of all types and sizes.
There is no substitute for experience. Mr. Coobs' experience includes assisting entrepreneurs and established business owners, working as in-house counsel for a multinational manufacturing company, negotiating commercial leases, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, parsing through the details of complex financing arrangements, and trouble-shooting employee and employee benefit issues. He offers "big city" legal expertise at affordable rates.
Mr. Coobs' practice is focused in the following areas:
- BUSINESS LAW / OUTSIDE COUNSEL. Assisting business clients with a wide range of legal matters, including entity selection and business formation (including corporations, LLCs, and partnerships), negotiating contracts, state and federal tax planning and compliance, employee issues, real estate, and securities issuances.
- COMMERICAL FINANCE. Representing financial institutions and borrowers in commercial financing and private equity transactions.
- SALES / DIVESTITURES. Assisting owners in connection with the negotiation and documentation of the sale of their business.
- MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS. Assisting buyers with due diligence, negotiation and documentation for their purchase of a business.
- CORPORATE GOVERNANCE / BUY-SELLL AGREEMENTS. Counseling business owners on corporate governance, buy-sell and succession planning issues, partnership agreements, and LLC operating agreements, including multi-generational family-owned businesses.
- SALE OF BUSINESS. Representation of numerous business owners in sales and divestitures of companies of all sizes and types, with transaction values ranging from $200,000 to $200 million.
- ACQUISITIONS / PURCHASE OF A BUSINESS. Representation of numerous business owners and entrepreneurs in connection with the purchase of businesses of all sizes and types, including fast food restaurants, commerical real estate, manufacturing companies, service businesses, medical practices, and financial services companies.
- COMMERCIAL AGREEMENTS. Assistance to buinsess owners with manufacturing agreements, supply agreements, distribution agreements, and license agreements.
- EMPLOYMENT. Representation of employers in connection with employment agreements, consulting agreements, non-competition and confidentiality agreements, employee benefit plans, and incentive compensation (non-qualified) plans. Representation of executive managers in connection with negotiating terms of employment, compensation, and benefits.
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE. Representation of businesses in connection with financing expansions and acquisitions with secured financing, corporate reorganiations, preferred stock and similar hybrid equity arrangements, and private placements of common and preferred equity.
- LOCAL COUNSEL. Serving as local counsel for national, out-of-state and international companies with Illinois assets, operations or corporate transactions.
- 1989, J.D. - University of Iowa College of Law, with high distinction
- 1989, M.A. - Accounting, University of Iowa College of Business
- 1986, B.B.A. - Accounting, University of Iowa College of Business, with distinction
- 1986, CPA - Iowa (exam only)
Presentations / Professional Activities
- Speaker, "Non-Tax Aspects of Buying and Selling a Business," Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2006)
- Speaker, "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Entrepreneurs Should Know," EnterpriseWorks, Research Park at the University of Illinois (2004)
- Speaker, "Initial Structuring and Organization For Your Business," TechCommunity (2000)
- Speaker, "The Low-Income Housing Tax Credit," Minnesota Multi-Housing Association (1992)
- Speaker, "Tax Aspects of Real Estate Transactions - A Primer," Minnesota State Bar Association (1992)
- Speaker, "Passive Activity Loss Rules: The New Regulations," Minnesota Institute of Continuing Legal Education (1989)
- Institute of Illinois Business Law (2005-2008)
- Illinois Secretary of State Business Organizations Acts Advisory Committee Member (2009-2011
- Illinois State Bar Association (1995-present)
- United States Tax Court (1993)
- United States District Court (Minnesota) (1991)
- Minnesota State Bar Association (1989-2014)
- Ramsey County (Minnesota) Bar Association (1989-1994)
Mr. Coobs has lived in Champaign-Urbana since 1995; prior to that, he and his wife Karen lived in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, where he was involved in private practice. The Coobs have three children: Drew, Abigail and Katherine.